How to succeed at interview
Everyone responds to interviews differently, and some find the process more stressful than others. The key is to prepare thoroughly and the following tips should help:
- Be clear about the job specification, especially the skills and experience required
- Familiarise yourself with your CV so that you can talk knowledgeably about every aspect of it and answer in-depth questions relating to the different sections
- Try to find out who will be conducting the interview, how it will be structured and how long it is likely to last
- Put yourself in your interviewer’s shoes. Try to come up with a range of questions you think they are likely to ask, especially challenging or awkward questions, and think about how you would answer them
- Find out as much as you can about the company – for example, visit their website, research their competitors, read what they are saying and what’s being said about them
- Prepare a few relevant and intelligent questions to ask the interviewer – for example, about the company’s plans, the job on offer, working environment and culture and any training or career opportunities
- Find out exactly where the interview is being held, how to get there and who to ask for on arrival. Allow yourself plenty of time!
- Dress smartly and conservatively.